Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's all about being healthier: Wellness and school

People have been asking me about the new wellness course listed on the right side of this page. The complete title of the course is It’s all about you: Wellness and school. The official course description from the RTC website is:

The impact of stress, poor nutrition, time management, and lack of physical activity will be examined in order to better serve educators on both a personal level, and in the teaching and learning process. Participants will learn stress management techniques, the essential elements of supportive nutrition, time management skills, and the benefits of physical fitness.

The truth is that it is life changing! I took the course in January and I have made many changes in my life, already. I still have a long way to go, but I have joined a fitness center and ACTUALLY GO regularly! The truth is, as soon as I knew I would be taking this course with the intent of teaching it, I joined. The first result was that my cholesterol level dropped significantly and I’ve lost some weight, not to mention the fact that I don’t ache as much.

After the course, I began to make some changes in other areas. Don’t get me wrong, I have not become a fanatic (at least, not yet!) but I have done some pretty amazing things. For one, I have hired a personal trainer. I have spent my whole life avoiding push-ups and now I want to be able to do them. Not necessarily the military version, but at least a modified one on a bench or wall. And I have eliminated much of the milk products from my diet. All you have to do is read The China Study and you want to eliminate as many animal based products from your diet as possible. You know, soy milk, soy creamer and even almond milk are not half bad!

I’ll keep you posted on my progress – one of my immediate goals is to get off some – if not all – of the medication I am currently on and have my numbers still be good.

No comments: